Author Topic: The Best and Worst of Stephen King's Movies  (Read 15177 times)

Bilja

The Best and Worst of Stephen King's Movies
« on: 12-03-2004, 12:04:42 »
Preuzeto sa sajta MSN.com

Mention "Stephen King movie" and most people think of a horror fest in which a) there's a monster out there and it's slowly gobbling us up, or b) a machine has come to life and it's slowly gobbling us up. But King's films are wide and varied, and with the release of the latest, "Secret Window" starring Johnny Depp, we decided to compile a list of the best and worst his fertile imagination has given Hollywood.

Some ground rules: First, no TV movies, only theatrical releases.

So yes to 1976's "Carrie" starring Sissy Spacek but no to 2002's "Carrie" starring Angela Bettis. It's apples and oranges, kids, and unfair to compare the two. (It also means we don't have to watch the TV stuff.)  Second, we're not judging these movies based on how faithful they were to King's original work. Doesn't matter. Is this a good movie or not? That's all we're asking.  Third, we're not considering most sequels unless King was directly involved, since, beyond a few characters and concepts, this stuff is no longer King's. So no "Children of the Corn II" or III or IV or V or (whew) "666: Isaac's Return." That's entirely too many children, and too much corn.

We were still left with a lot to plow through, about three dozen films, and at times our eyes were like pinwheels watching this stuff. But we emerged with only minor brain damage and a few insights to share:

-- If you find yourself in a Stephen King story, watch out for trucks, they're evil. And don't expect help from sheriffs, they're incompetent.
-- Any time Stephen King's name is above the title, like "Stephen King's Silver Bullet"? Well, that's not a movie you're going to hear about at Oscar time.
-- Sometimes being a master storyteller can work against you. "Christine," for example, is well-directed, has a good script, and the acting ain't bad. It just can't get past its premise. A possessed car? King makes it work in the book, but in a movie it just looks silly.
-- Of the five best Stephen King movies, none were adapted by King. Of the five worst Stephen King movies, four were adapted by King. We'll let Stephen King figure out the lesson here. And now, on with the countdown:

The Best

5. "Stand By Me" (1986)
Directed by Rob Reiner; written by Raynold Gideon and Bruce Evans, from the novella, "The Body," by Stephen King.

Yes, there are false notes. White kids in 1959 didn't say "Skin me," and 12-year-olds tend not to have heart-to-heart conversations. ("You can do anything you want, man.") The closure Gordie feels when viewing the dead body is a little too neat, as is the ending. "We'd only been gone two days," the adult Gordie (Richard Dreyfuss) narrates, "but somehow the town seemed different. Smaller." "The Wonder Years," anyone? Yet their adventures are exciting (the oncoming train, the leeches), the dialogue is fun ("Yeah. What is Goofy?"), and there's something poetic about four boys walking along, singing and joking, with just empty train tracks ahead of them.

Who helps: Kiefer Sutherland and River Phoenix are great.
Who hurts: Wil Wheaton isn't.
Bullies: Plenty, led by Kiefer Sutherland at his bad-boy best.
Evil truck or incompetent sheriff?: Neither, although trains kill one boy, and nearly three others.
Academy Award Nominations: Best Adapted Screenplay.
Quote: "Mighty Mouse is a cartoon. Superman is a real guy. No way a cartoon beats a real guy."

4. "Misery" (1990)
Directed by Rob Reiner; written by William Goldman, from the novel by Stephen King.

There are better Stephen King movies, but none scarier. Werewolves, vampires, mutated rats, mean high-school girls -- all pale next to sweet-talking Annie Wilkes. We squirmed through this movie. We wanted to get away as much as Paul. It's more than her psychotic behavior. It's her prim-girl swearing, and eating Cheetos in bed while watching "Love Connection" or "Family Feud." It's Liberace, and the flower-print dress she wears to dinner. It's the figurines on her shelf. Yes, she terrifies. But first she nauseates.

Who helps: Kathy Bates, obviously, but James Caan is equally good as the writer. Many actors expressed interest in the role but all declined. They feared they would look weak. But Caan is never a weak man. That's what makes it all so terrifying.
Who hurts: Nobody.
Bullies: One guess.
Evil truck or incompetent sheriff?: J.T. Walsh as State Trooper Sherman Douglas makes a brief appearance. Richard Farnsworth's J.T. McCain, on the other hand, is that rarity, a smart sheriff in a Stephen King story. Yet even he gets it through the chest.
Academy Award Nominations: Best Actress. Bates won, too, making her the only person to win an Academy Award in a Stephen King movie.
Quote: "Ssshh, darling. Trust me. It's for the best."

3. "The Shining" (1980)
Directed by Stanley Kubrick; written by Stanley Kubrick and Diane Johnson, from the novel by Stephen King.

Cold and atmospheric, with incredible tracking shots, and some of the best quick-cuts in film. No pause. Just: "Tuesday." "Saturday." The sound editing was brilliant as well. That Big Wheel rumbling over hardwood floors, and then softly over carpet. Creepy. Kubrick even makes the "Road Runner" theme song sound creepy.

King, of course, famously didn't like the flick, and with some reason. Too many loose ends. The kid, we learn early, has shining powers, as does the Overlook Hotel, at least according to Dick Hallorann, which is why Jack Torrance is able to see all he sees. But what does this have to do with his writer's block? And why does the hotel suddenly reveal itself to Wendy Torrance at the end? Because she's already scared? So maybe the hotel reveals itself to you if: a) you have the shine, or b) you're already a little nuts, or c) you're scared out of your wits? Is that it? None of which excuses the ending. So Jack Torrance was in the hotel on July 4, 1921. We kind of already got that idea. It wasn't exactly a shock.

Who helps: Jack Nicholson gets all the attention, but the kid, Danny Lloyd, is quite good. This is his only feature film.
Who hurts: Some of King's criticism makes sense. OK, so you can't include everything from the book, but don't just hint at stuff. The guy in the dog suit? C'mon. Not to pun or anything, but throw us a bone here.
Bullies: None, really. Jack and the ghosts, a little bit, but not in the traditional Stephen King sense.
Evil truck or incompetent sheriff: The forest rangers don't help much, do they? It's all Scatman Crothers, who travels over a thousand miles, then trudges up a snowy mountain. "Hello? Anybody here?" Splat! Right in the chest. Hey, just like Richard Farnsworth!
Academy Award Nominations: None. But it was nominated for two Razzies, for Shelly Duvall and Stanley Kubrick. Which should earn the Razzies a razzie.
Quote: "Heeeere's Johnny!" (Do kids even know what this means anymore?)

2. "The Dead Zone" (1983)
Directed by David Cronenberg; written by Jeffrey Boam, from the novel by Stephen King.

Director Cronenberg can make the creak of snow or vinyl send shivers up your spine, his camera shots are off-kilter and claustrophobic, and the lighting is as bleak as a New England winter. Then there's Christopher Walken. You could teach a course on reaction shots just from his performance here: His awkward, gracious reaction when the husband of the woman he loves reminds him to vote for Greg Stilson for U.S. Senate; the exquisite double double-take after his vision of President Stilson starting World War III. You can see him thinking, "Oh my God," and he turns away. A second later you can see him thinking, "OH MY GOD!" It's exactly right and beautiful to watch.

Who helps: Everyone from Martin Sheen to Herbert Lom to Anthony Zerbe to Tom Skerritt. Plus Brooke Adams is definitely a woman to fall in love with. But Walken's the man.
Who hurts: The kid playing Chris is a little weak.
Bullies: Stilson's aide, Sonny.
Evil truck or incompetent sheriff?: Both. An overturned milk truck causes Johnny's accident, while Sheriff Bannerman (Skerritt) has no clue about a serial-killer case and calls in Johnny for his psychic abilities.
Academy Award nominations: Zilch.
Quote: "You're either in possession of a very new human ability -- or a very old one."

1. "The Shawshank Redemption" (1994)
Written and directed by Frank Darabont, from the novella, "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption," by Stephen King.

What makes a classic? Great leading actors. Distinct secondary characters. A care for language. Good guys overcoming adversity in believable fashion. Bad guys getting theirs. A story that's operatic without being melodramatic. "Shawshank" has all this and more. It has the patience of an Andy Dufresne.

Who helps: Try not to feel joy when Morgan Freeman shows joy onscreen. Just try. We're thinking of three scenes in particular: When Rita Hayworth appears in "Gilda"; when Tim Robbins tells him he had to come to prison in order to be a crook; and when he first steps outside Shawshank. Plus James Whitmore, Bob Gunton and a slew of tough-guy character actors. Nice.
Who hurts: We never did buy Gil Bellows as the rock 'n' roll thug. Even before "Ally McBeal."
Bullies: The sisters; Capt. Byron Hadley; the warden.
Evil truck or incompetent sheriff?: Neither. This is a classy movie.
Academy Award nominations: The most ever for a Stephen King picture, seven, including Best Picture, Actor (Freeman), Adapted Screenplay, Sound, Music, Editing, and Cinematography. It won nothing.
Quote: "You could say he'd done it to curry favor with the guards. Or to make a few friends among us cons. Me, I think he did it just to feel normal again. If only for a short while."
Bilja
----------------------------------------@

Bilja

« Reply #1 on: 12-03-2004, 12:07:59 »
nastavak

And now, the worst:

5. "Silver Bullet" (1985)
Directed by Daniel Attias; written by Stephen King, from the novel by Stephen King.

Something is killing the residents of Tarker's Mill in brutal fashion. What could it be? Well, we know right away it's a werewolf, and the kids in the picture, Corey Haim as an invalid, and Megan Follows as his older sister, know fairly quickly it's a werewolf. But will anyone believe them? Yes, it's one of those movies.

Oh no, the werewolf knows who I am, and I'm an invalid, and he's already tried to kill me twice, and I suspect he'll attack me during the next full moon (this werewolf can attack at any time, by the way, not just during full moons), but what can I do? I'm just a kid and no one will believe me. Even though half the town has sorta seen the werewolf. So I'll just hole up in this house with my sister and drunk uncle, who still doesn't believe me, and wait for the werewolf to come. But we've got one silver bullet in one gun, which my drunk uncle waves around. We'll be fine. Don't you worry.

Who helps:  Young Corey Haim is good, and Gary Busey is always our first choice for a drunk, good ol' boy-type uncle.
Who hurts: Mostly King's script, which makes no sense. The werewolf kills his second victim by climbing a trellis and jumping into her bedroom. The next thing you know there's a curfew: Don't leave your house after 5 p.m.! Um ... how is this supposed to make us safe?
Bullies: Guy at a bar who starts a vigilante committee.
Evil truck or incompetent sheriff?:  Sheriff Joe Haller can't do anything to stop the werewolf or the vigilante mob.
Quote: "I think he's going to come after me. But I think he's going to wait until the moon is full."

4. "Graveyard Shift" (1990)
Directed by Ralph S. Singleton; written by John Esposito, from the short story by Stephen King.

No great plot holes here. Just a stupid, unpleasant movie about stupid, unpleasant people saying stupid, cliché-ridden lines in a sweaty Maine textile mill overrun with rats. None of the actors are good or good-looking or well-known. There's no gratuitous nudity or sex or sensuality. And the creepiness factor (all those scuttling rats) is mitigated halfway through when the rats suddenly disappear in favor of one giant, shadowy (but less creepy) rat. The final insult? The "song" over the end credits just samples lines from the film, including a man screaming, "No more! No more! AAAAHHHH!" Exactly.

Who helps: Brad Dourif distracts us for a while, but then his overacting gets obnoxious.
Who hurts: Pretty much everyone.
Bullies: The textile mill foreman, Warwick, with the thick-as-molasses Maine accent ("Show's ovah!"). A couple of rubes in the town bar.
Evil truck or incompetent sheriff?: Neither.
Quote: "Wouldn't mind his boots restin' under mah bed."

3. "Pet Sematary" (1989)
Directed by Mary Lambert; written by Stephen King, from the novel by Stephen King.

Hi, I'm Jud Crandall. When a neighborhood cat is killed, I lead the cat's owner, Louis Creed, to an Indian burial ground and tell him to bury the cat there. Here's what I don't tell him: That as a result, the cat will come back to life, and this time it will be evil. Why do I do this? Am I evil? No. Am I befuddled? No, I'm fairly sharp for someone from Maine. I guess I'm just an idiot. But I get mine in the end.

Hi, I'm Louis Creed. What do I do after my daughter's cat comes back from the dead? Do I kill this evil abomination? No, I let my daughter play with it. And when my 2-year-old son is killed, and despite warnings from a nice ghost with a bleeding head wound, I decide to bring my boy back to life, too. But, whoops, he turns out evil (didn't see that coming), and he cuts up my neighbor and wife with a scalpel. Then he tries to kill me -- flying through the air and gnawing at my neck -- but I manage to kill him instead. Ah well. Lesson learned, right? Not really. I immediately carry my dead wife to the Indian burial ground to resurrect her. I guess I'm just an idiot. But I get mine in the end.

Who helps: Fred Gwynne does a fine job but winds up with a toddler feasting on his neck. "The Munsters" was Shakespeare in comparison.
Who hurts: Denise Crosby. Darling, you left "Star Trek" for this?
Bullies: None, really. Just the dead.
Evil truck or incompetent sheriff?: Trucks run over a teacher, a cat, and a toddler. They scare everyone. Changing the speed limit in town might help but it'd probably ruin the sequel.
King cameo: The minister during the toddler's funeral. It may be his best performance -- brief and understated.
Quote: "Daddy, now I want to play with yewwwwww."

2. "Sleepwalkers" (1992)
Directed by Mick Garris; written by Stephen King directly for the screen.

OK, so you're a sleepwalker, a shapeshifter who feeds off the energy of virginal human females while being vulnerable to the scratch of a cat, and you and your sexy Mom arrive in a sleepy Indiana town after narrowly escaping capture in Maine. Lying low makes sense. So what do you do? In school you write, and read aloud, a story about sleepwalkers: a mother and son, as a matter of fact, who flee from town to town. When a fat teacher searches into your background, you kill him. Immediately afterward you go joyriding around town, so now the cops are after you. And one of the cops just happens, just happens, to patrol with a kitty cat in his front seat. Whoops.

The epigraph at the beginning of "Sleepwalkers" attempts to play off the vampire legend, but there's a big reason vampires work on the big screen: Drinking blood, fear of daylight -- it's all cool. The reason sleepwalkers don't? A bunch of housecats attacking someone looks really, really stupid. Oh, and Madchen Amick is still a virgin? In your dreams.

Who helps: Brian Krause, Madchen Amick and Alice Krige don't stink.
Who hurts: King's original screenplay is riddled with as many holes as Beatty and Dunaway at the end of "Bonnie and Clyde." Also a gaggle of directors -- Joe Dante, John Landis, Clive Barker and Tobe Hooper -- decide to show up in bit parts. To lend support? To divert our attention? Because they're directors and they don't know a bad script when they read one?
Bullies: The sleepwalkers; a fat teacher.
Evil truck or incompetent sheriff?: The Indiana police department looks as dumb here as the Chicago police in "The Fugitive." Our favorite moment: two cops converge on the sleepwalkers' home, see no one, and immediately holster their guns. Umm ... upstairs, guys?
King cameo: The cemetery caretaker. Not good. But not as bad as Jordy Verrill in "Creepshow."
Quote: "He was ... (sob) ... He was very charming."

1. "Maximum Overdrive" (1986)
Directed by Stephen King; written by Stephen King, from the short story, "Trucks," by Stephen King.

It's got it all: Bad acting, bad dialogue, unpleasant characters, plot holes you can drive Christine through, and a tone-deaf director who apparently learned scene-to-scene continuity from Ed Wood.  And has any leading man ever made so many wrong decisions? Emilio Estevez urges his boss not to shoot a rocket grenade at the evil machines, even though this would help their situation. He joyfully turns on the pumps when the trucks want gas, even though this hurts their situation. His plan is to sail to an island that has no machines. But ... speedboats? Airplanes? Apparently Emilio doesn't think of these. Apparently neither does anyone else because the plan works. Or so we're told in an afterword.

And how about that afterword? We spend 90 minutes watching a group of rubes battle trucks in a truckstop, and as they sail off into the sunset we're told that two days later a UFO is shot down and everything was fine. The End. UFO? Hello?

King has admitted he was addicted to alcohol and cocaine back then, so maybe "Maximum Overdrive" can still be put to use, as the greatest anti-drug message ever filmed. A fried egg? No, kids, this is your brain on drugs.

Who helps: Pat Hingle is a professional, as always, and Yeardley Smith (the voice of Lisa Simpson) provides Shelley Winters-like comic relief.
Who hurts: Emilio Estevez and Laura Harrington, our romantic leads. But it's King's movie, he does it all here, and he does it all badly.
Bullies: Pat Hingle.
Evil truck or incompetent sheriff?: All evil trucks all the time. One even grins.
King cameo: Man at Cashpoint. Says the first line in the film: "Honeybuns, this machine just called me an asshole!" Ninety-seven excruciating minutes later we agree with the machine.
Quote: "What gets me is the stupidity."
Bilja

Truba

« Reply #2 on: 12-03-2004, 12:56:07 »
nikad ga nisam volio
ali najdraži su mi isijavanje i groblje kućnih ljubimaca
Najjači forum na kojem se osjećam kao kod kuće i gdje uvijek mogu reći što mislim bez posljedica, mada ipak ne bih trebao mnogo pričati...

otaku

• http://nasdvoje.mojblog.com/
« Reply #3 on: 12-03-2004, 17:25:33 »
Ne samo najbolji film po S. Kingu, vec najbolji film od svih i beyond, sto rece neko od dece sa foruma nam, je STAND BY ME, moj i svemirkov omiljeni  :!:  :D

Najgori film po Kingu je Dreamcatcher,  xfrog
Proooobaj da u glavi budes sam

Milosh

« Reply #4 on: 12-03-2004, 18:54:01 »
kao film 'Shining', ali ne i kao adaptacija verna duhu originala...zato ipak 'Carrie', mada Rob Reiner je u 'Misery' a narocito u 'Stand by Me' uspeo najbolje da uhvati duh Kingove proze; i special mention za 'Night Fliera' i 'Dead Zone', naravno...

p.s. upravo citam 'The Body' i mnogo je jaka novela...  :D

a najgori, pa recimo 'Children of the Corn', a i 'Dreamcatcher' je tu negde...
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part."

http://milosh.mojblog.rs/

Spider Jerusalem

« Reply #5 on: 12-03-2004, 19:24:07 »
Cekaj, sta, niko ne voli Green Mile?
A gde je Dark Half?

Pet Sematary je pretty horrid, kao i Maximum Overdrive (mada je ovaj drugi zabavan). Meni su Sleepwalkersi neverovatno traljavi, ali ima ljudi kojima je uzasno zabavan.
Takodje, ima ljudi koji ne podnose Night Fliera koji je meni suva genijalnost.

Dreamcatcher jeste misguided  smece, ali je bizarno smece, sto ga cini neverovatno zabavnim. Sasvim moze da se odgleda - i po vise puta.

Pet Sematary ne moze nikako. (Nesto mi govori da ce isto biti sa rimejkom.) Ne moze ni Needful Things.

P.S. Mislim da ce Secret Window moci da se stavi u kategoriju solidnog filma po Kingu. Nista preterano novo i bitno, ali uzbudljivo, gledljivo, sa dosta dobrog suspensa.

Ghoul

• The Cult of Ghoul
« Reply #6 on: 12-03-2004, 20:32:41 »
pricali smo o ovome vec na 2-3 topika, ali ajde:

the best: SHINING [ingenious RE-IMAGINING] & CARRIE [best faithful horror adaptation] & STAND BY ME [best faithful non-horror adaptation, & a masterpiece in its own right]

the worst: GRAVEYARD SHIFT [ovo verovatno niko nije ni gledao kad ga ne pominjete: ne mogu da verujem da srednje-gledljivi SEMATARY figurira visoko na listi najgorih pored stinkera kakav je ovaj, ili OVERDRIVE, ili TOMMYKNOCKERS ili LAWNMOWER-a]

svemirko

« Reply #7 on: 12-03-2004, 21:05:02 »
omiljeni "Silver Bullet", mada volim i "Dead Zone" zbog mladog C. Walkena, a najdosadniji su Sleepwalkers i Running Man
This looks like a job for a real super hero

Spider Jerusalem

« Reply #8 on: 12-03-2004, 21:09:58 »
Lawnmower Man nekako ne mogu da stavim u Kingovske 'adaptacije'. Kapiram da izraz "re-imagining" nekako ne bi pasovala tu.

Tommyknockers su TV. Gore pise no TV. Da pise, ja bih prvi stavio Storm of the Century, mozda i Langoliere. Tominokersi su funfunfun u poredjenju sa Storm.

A opet, Tominokere UVEK mogu da gledam. Sematary vise nikad. The soil in the man's heart is harder, ghoul.

Ghoul

• The Cult of Ghoul
« Reply #9 on: 12-03-2004, 21:17:39 »
Tv/ ne-Tv, ko ce da cita onoliki text o necemu o cemu smo vec 200 puta raspravljali.
Ja te poznije TV adaptacije nisam hteo ni da gledam [for the record, i IT i Stand smatram inferiornom TV konfekcijom i pukim gubljenjem vremena].

Quote is PS valjda glasi: 'sometimes, the soil of the human heart is stonier.'

svemirko

« Reply #10 on: 12-03-2004, 21:28:40 »
ko nam kaze, pa ti prvi stalno udvajash topike, zato bolje cuti... :roll:
This looks like a job for a real super hero

Spider Jerusalem

« Reply #11 on: 12-03-2004, 21:36:13 »
touche :)

Ghoul

• The Cult of Ghoul
« Reply #12 on: 12-03-2004, 22:17:35 »
Quote from: "svemirko"
ko nam kaze, pa ti prvi stalno udvajash topike, zato bolje cuti... :roll:

ok, ako to radim 'stalno'= navedi 3 topika koja sam ja 'udvojio'.

ne mora vise [iako ih sigurno ima 'mnogo' : tri komada, i zanemecu od stida].

otherwise, touche is mine. 8)

otaku

« Reply #13 on: 13-03-2004, 00:05:22 »
Svemirko, sestro, prepusti ovo meni, bice mi zadovoljstvo  :evil:

The passion of the Christ

(Autor:
jackdaniels)

Napisano: 01, February, 04. 14:35

malo potom...  :idea:

1a)Naslov: Hristova STRAST

(translated by  
ghoul)

Napisano: 29, February, 04. 06:39  

Naslov: Najbolji Horor film ikada (opet samo jedan)

(Autor: Sam Lowry)

Napisano: 30, March, 03. 23:19    

revival topika:

Harvester

(da, vaskrsao sam topic star skoro godinu dana. and what are you going to do about it?  )

Napisano: 10, March, 04. 00:56    

(par sati kasnije... :arrow: )

:idea: 2a)Naslov: Najbolji HOROR filmovi IKADA [a i šire]

(copyright by
ghoul)

Napisano: 10, March, 04. 13:46  

Naslov: 666

(Autor: Nyarlathotep)

Napisano: 13, December, 02. 04:41  

znaika "...ma, nemate vi pojma, pazi ovamo, to zahteva POSEBAN TRETMAN...", says ghoul iiiiiii (Give me more, ghoul!!!!!! xukliam )

3a)Naslov: SATANIZAM

(preached by ghoul)

Napisano: 08, December, 03. 16:07    

Ipak, ghoul najvise voli sebe da citira, elem...

Naslov: sex sa kobilama

(Autor: ghoul)

Napisano: 10, August, 03. 01:35  

...al' mu ne bi dosta, pa... :arrow:

Naslov: jedem [genitalije] po kucama!

(reflected by ghoul)

Napisano: 03, December, 03. 01:24    

...konacno, stekao je autorska prava...  :|  

Naslov: strange but... WEIRD

(Compiled by ghoul)

Napisano: 03, January, 04. 10:09

Would you like some more cherry pie, my baby boy?  :evil:

Tex Murphy

• Radioaktivna aleja
Hm...
« Reply #14 on: 13-03-2004, 01:31:07 »
Da odgovorim na TEMU (zamisli to!).
Prvo, odričem se svih ljudi koji se odriču Srebrnog metka.
Drugo, omiljeni SK film mi je Shining (mada ga SK lično ne podnosi, hehe), a najgori... nemam pojma, svi su mi nekako dobri  :oops:

Milosh

« Reply #15 on: 13-03-2004, 02:21:37 »
Quote from: "ghoul"
...i zanemecu od stida.

ghoule...pa reci nesto...  :shock:  :D
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part."

Ghoul

• The Cult of Ghoul
« Reply #16 on: 13-03-2004, 07:11:42 »
Otaku, mislio sam da si ti u dvojcu ‘svemirko’ + ‘otaku’ onaj bistriji clan.

Sad se pitam zasto sam to mislio.

Jedini topik koji sam ‘duplirao’ jeste ovaj o Hristu. To sam na samom pocetku [koji je nekako promakao dunadan] priznao, i objasnio zasto sam to uradio.

Exhibit 2: Da li tvoj mozgic może da pojmi razliku izmedju topika koji glasi ‘Najbolji Horor film ikada (opet samo jedan)’ i topika koji se zove ‘Najbolji HOROR filmovi IKADA’ [mnozina: dakle, ne 1 jedini, vec SPISKOVI sa 50ak naslova]

Exhibit 3: Da li si ti uopste CITALA te topike koje navodis kao ‘dokaze’? 666 se jasno bavi numerologijom, i smislom BROJA 666, bez dubinskog zalazenja u SATANIZAM kao pokret/veru/antireligiju ili sta god, sto je bila namera ovog drugog. Osim toga, Satanizma nikad dosta. Tim pre sto sam hteo da tek-pristiglog Popivodu inspirisem za pisanje o tome.

Exhibit 4: Sex sa kobilama ima prilicno malo veze sa jedenjem genitalija po kucama, to je valjda ocigledno nekome ko se pipka na sve zivo [i mrtvo]. Strange but weird ni u kom smislu ne duplira istu tematiku, vec NAPROTIV = pokrenut je upravo da se ne bi otvarali zasebni topici za svaku bizarnu vest vrednu kachenja, vec da one budu na jednom mestu. Znaci, prakticnost umesto redundance.

Dakle, nisi mi dala ni jedan razlog da se postidim, naprotiv.

Spider Jerusalem

« Reply #17 on: 13-03-2004, 07:18:11 »
Ja samo malo da razblazim temu posto se zgusnulo malo.

Milosh

« Reply #18 on: 13-03-2004, 07:19:41 »
Exhibit 2: Da li tvoj mozgic może da pojmi razliku izmedju topika koji glasi ‘Najbolji Horor film ikada (opet samo jedan)’ i topika koji se zove ‘Najbolji HOROR filmovi IKADA’ [mnozina: dakle, ne 1 jedini, vec SPISKOVI sa 50ak naslova]

ajde da se ne drzimo samo naslova topika, ima jedan topik gde komunjara pita da mu se preporuci 25 horora, i gde ti navodis filmove i upucujes na jedan jos stariji topik sa listama filmova gde si prvobitno postovao ovu listu (tada, doduse, nesto drugaciju), znaci ne da si duplirao nego si triplirao, overdozirao...  :evil:

p.s. da te preduhitrim, evo ja priznajem da i sam to radim tj. dupliram topike npr. May, ali ja to i ne krijem...

Ghoul

• The Cult of Ghoul
« Reply #19 on: 13-03-2004, 07:25:08 »
miki, da li si razmislio, makar na trenutak, pre nego sto si ovo napisao?

jer da jesi, video bi da sam sebi uskaces u usta: u slucaju koji navodis, nisam topik pokrenuo JA, vec KOMI.
to si i sam kazao [a i da nisi, moze se proveriti].

dakle, kao odgovor njemu [komiju] ja sam pastovao tu listu sa drugog topika [a ne pokrenuo novu temu]. sem toga, taj topik se bavio FILMSKIM LISTAMA UOPSTE, a ne samo hororima. dakle, tema ni u kom smislu nije triplicirana, pa ni duplirana.

e, kad me je jos jedno 6 osoba pitalo za spisak mojih najdrazih horora, tj sta bih njima preporucio, ja sam pokrenuo inkriminisani topik, da ih ne bih upucivao na nesto cijeg se naslova ni sam ne secam, a i da bih dao aktuelniju, noviju listu.

mislim da je razlika ovde vrlo jasna.

cenim tvoj gentlemanski gest, ali shvati da se ovde ne napadaju osobe, vec argumenti, a argumenata nema ni kod otaku [koja mi je vrlo drag lik] ni kod tebe [see pod otaku  :wink: ]

Milosh

« Reply #20 on: 13-03-2004, 07:32:52 »
jesam razmislio...u formalnom smislu si u pravu, ali ponavljas se, mnogo se ponavljas... a ja nisam mogao da odolim, eto.  :evil:  

a da li ima jos neki duplirani topik sa tvoje stane, osim onog o Hristu, nemam pojma, ali provericu, ne mrzi me...

Milosh

« Reply #21 on: 13-03-2004, 08:06:51 »
Dakle, imam te, ghoule!  :D

Elem, jos odavno si postavio topik pod nazivom:

CRONENBERG STRIKES AGAIN!!!

a nedavno i topik:

CRONENBERG! NOVI FILM!!!

odmah da dodam, govori se o dva razlicita filma, ali iz imena topika to ne mozemo ni da naslutimo tj. naslovi oba topika ukazuju samo na novi film Dejvida Kronenberga, tako da je formalno gledano, ovo cisto dupliranje...i to samog sebe, dodacu...  :evil:

Ghoul

• The Cult of Ghoul
« Reply #22 on: 13-03-2004, 15:34:46 »
I deride your arguing abilities! No argument-handler you!

Zar je *ovo* najbolje sto si mogao da iskopas?
2 topika ciji NASLOVI *zvuce* slicno, ali se [u razmaku od godinu, i vise dana] vrlo jasno i ocito bave RAZLICITIM filmovima?

Daj da vam pomognem, posto vidim da imate poteskoca sa nalazenjem primera za moje 'STALNO' udvajanje topika:

secate se onih filmskih kvizova, svojevremeno?
e, tamo ima naslova kakvi su: Ghoul’s ITALO quiz, Ghoul’s CLASSICS quiz, Ghoul’s GOOGLE THIS Quiz, itd.
ko ne otvori topik, vec samo vidi naslov, lako moze da pomisli da se tu udvajaju topici [uostalom, 'sve' je isto, samo se slike menjaju].

krunski dokaz: Ghoul's GORE quiz
a onda, samo 3 dana kasnije: Ghoul's MORE GORE quiz

a, sta kazes? gore/more gore ? 'formalno gledano'=isto sranje, sto mora na 2 topika?
how 'bout: 'sadrzinski gledano?'

e, deco, deco... :x  :x  :x

daniel dravot

« Reply #23 on: 13-03-2004, 16:50:34 »
mrzim kad topik vec na kraju svoje prve strane nema veze sa pocetkom
da ga ja vratim tamo gde je krenuo
najbolji upravo po onom redu sa pocetka
STAND BY ME
MISERY
THE SHINING
DEAD ZONE
a zatim i
CHRISTINE
CREEPSHOW
THE DARK HALF
pa cak i
SLEEPWALKERS
LANGOLIERS
a najgori
Pet Sematary
Sometimes They Come Back
Silver Bullet
samo totalni slepac ili neznalica sa nekim ultrabizarnim poimanjem horora

Lurd

« Reply #24 on: 13-03-2004, 17:03:06 »
On topic: Ja volim Maximum Overdrive i setio sam se jedne super anegdote, koju ću da sačuvam za jedno drugo mesto.

Off topic: postoje ljudi koji se prilagodjavaju okolini, postoje ljudi koji okolinu prilagodjavaju sebi, a postoje ljudi koji su van svakih okolina (Tom Bombadil).

A opet, postoje ljudi koji ništa nikada ne kapiraju i koji urlaju u ništa ne gledajući ništa, tj. hoće da utiču na okolinu bez ikakvog uvida u nju i njenu prirodu.
My trees...They have withered and died just like me.

otaku

« Reply #25 on: 13-03-2004, 17:57:15 »
Quote from: "ghoul"
Otaku, mislio sam da si ti u dvojcu ‘svemirko’ + ‘otaku’ onaj bistriji clan.

Sad se pitam zasto sam to mislio.

:oops:  

Eh, bre, ghoul, ti sad kao Toma Zdravkovic  :lol: , ne preispituj se mnogo, desava se svakom pogresna procena...

Posle svih ovih godina, na obali reke, rekla ti je...  xscatt  ...touch je tvoj
 xjap

Ghoul

• The Cult of Ghoul
« Reply #26 on: 13-03-2004, 18:45:09 »
Quote from: "otaku"
...touch je tvoj

mmmmm... I hope this pun/misspell was intended [at least subconsciously] :wink:  :!:

@lurd: ...a postoje ljudi koji su mozda u shumi. :roll:

otaku

« Reply #27 on: 13-03-2004, 18:50:55 »
Salu na stranu, primila sam poruku k' svesti: Ti poslednja imas prava da mi prigovaras za udvajanje topika, podvojena licnosti jedna...
xremyb

DWYD 666

« Reply #28 on: 13-03-2004, 20:11:19 »
Hmmm... da li je iko ikada čitao "THE MANGLER"?

To je o onoj ogromnoj pegli koja se budi u život i "pegla" radnike... Eh, da... napravljen je i film. Mislim da od Kingovih, pored "lawnmover man-a" nema gorih (s tim što je "Kosač" fenomenalna priča).

Najbolji film? The Dark Half... ubedljivo! (odmah posle šajninga, mizeri, najt flajera, keri, kudžo-a, itd, itd....
Opal! Diamond! Sapphire! Jade! I smell Gary¨s lemonade!

Milosh

« Reply #29 on: 14-03-2004, 05:32:57 »
To je o onoj ogromnoj pegli koja se budi u život i "pegla" radnike... Eh, da... napravljen je i film. Mislim da od Kingovih, pored "lawnmover man-a" nema gorih (s tim što je "Kosač" fenomenalna priča).

da, Tobe Hooper je tada spao na stvarno niske grane, ali nema veze posto se izgleda vrnuo u formu...

meni i Pet Semetary uopste nije tako los, ali mozda je stvar u tome sto jos uvek nisam procitao knjigu.

Bilja

« Reply #30 on: 15-03-2004, 08:29:09 »
Meni su favoriti Dead Zone i Stand by me, izmedju ostalog i zbog sjajnih glumackih ekipa (pogotovo Walkena i Phoenix-a). ZAtim Carrie, koja je odlican film, sa odlicnom Sissy Spacek, i The Shining. Mislim da je i sasvim nespomenuta Firestarter prilicno OK, mada ne kao prethodno navedeni filmovi (pravo da kazem, ne secam se dobro ovog filma).
Od najgorih zgrozio me Longoliers sa grozno losom glumom, ocajnim scenariom i onim odvratno losim efektima (jel treba da se plasim onih kompjuterski napravljenih kuglica sto lice na besnog smajlija?). Zatim los je i Sleepwalkers zbog gomile nelogicnosti, Overdrive (isti razlog), Silver, It (isto, isto, a i nategnut scenario i ocajni dijalozi)...
Mislim da je Green Mile sasvim OK, ali zato me Pet Cemetary cak ni ne privlaci da ga odgledam. Procitavsi opis filma, ne zelim da sebi priustim sat i po torture. Takva prica tesko da moze da bude dobro realizovana. Cak mi je odvratna.
Misery nisam gledala. Moguce je da je odlicno realizovan film, ali uopste ne zelim da sat i po do dva gledam psiho-fizicku torturu jedne zene nad jednim covekom.
Bilja

Tex Murphy

• Radioaktivna aleja
Hm...
« Reply #31 on: 16-03-2004, 01:39:58 »
Ne znam šta svi imaju protiv Maximum Overdrive. Čak i ako izuzmemo činjenicu da se obilato koristi muzika AC/DC (uz koju mogu da gledam i u zid), taj film je skroz zabavan i nepretenciozan. Ako baš moram da navedem film za koji mislim da je najslabiji, onda recimo Green Mile (a isto važi i za dotičnu knjigu, mislim da mi se jedino Cujo manje sviđa od nje).

Tripp

« Reply #32 on: 17-03-2004, 19:49:05 »
Slazem se sa ljudima koji kazu da je Maximum Overdrive izuzetno zabavan film, takodje i Sleepwalkers; naprotiv, mislim da se radi o vrlo dobrim "mozak na otavu" filmovima. Silver Bullet, iako isprazan, i nije toliko katastrofican, prevashodno zbog Garyja Busyja, koji igra ujaka Coreya Haima - svojom dobrotom podsjeca na lik Tommyja Rossa (William Katt) iz "Carrie", vjerovatno najplemenitijeg lika u istoriji kinematografije, u svakom slucaju horora. Mogao bih ga gledati, kao sto i jesam, vise puta bez nekih vecih problema.

Pet Sematary, recimo, po mome misljenju, ima scenario koji bih u svako doba stavio medju dvadeset najboljih skriptova ikada napisanih, predavao bih o njegovoj konciznosti u skoli, kada bi mi neko pruzio tu priliku - ABCs of good screenplay writing, that sorta thing; isto kao sto filmove Clinta Eastwooda i Johna Carpentera mozete prikazivati ljudima da nauce osnove rezije i kako se najednostavnije postavlja kamera i snima eksplicitno dobar film bez ikakvih montaznih i rediteljskih kerefeka. Svojevremeno se Tobe Hooper otimao za Kingov skript Pet Sematary (imao je utisak da je to nesto najbolje i najstravicnije sto je ikada citao od filmskih scenarija), ali je bilo isuvise kasno, jer je Mary Lambert vec bila pridruzena projektu. Zato je napravio magarca od sebe snimivsi The Mangler, makar se za to svi slazemo. Sto se toga tice, Hooper nije ostavio utisak ni sa Salem's Lot - TV adaptacija lisena bilo cega hororicnog i, osim par zbilja jezovitih scena a la best of the best of European horror flickies, imate osjecaj kao da tri sata zijevate u pozorisnu predstavu po komadu Agathe Christie (nadam se da gospodja Christie ne zamjera na ovakvoj analogiji; pretpostavljam da je nju, u svakom slucaju, najbolje variti dok je u proznoj formi). Ipak, daj da kazemo da taj atmosfericni ali nadasve sporohodni dogadjaj vrijedi zbog glavnog vampira, Barlowa. Good-looking fella.      

Vjerovatno najgori Kingov film je Dreamcatcher i ne znam sta je bilo Kasdanu da se upusti u taj projekat, premda hrabri cuti da neko moze naci bilo sta vizuelno u onom teskom proznom amalgamu hiljadu svakome-dobro-poznatih kingovskih stvari, koji, makar kao roman, i nije ispao toliko los, iako nimalo lagan. Dreamcather the movie je svojom stupidnoscu cak prevazisao i The Dark Half, radjen po vjerovatno najgoroj Kingovoj knjizi (uz Talisman), bezmalo istovremeno pisanoj sa "Secret Window, Secret garden", novele publikovane, inace, godinu dana nakon Mracne Polovine, ali zato desetostruko uvjerljivije po pitanju stivensonovog dvolicja.

Mogao bih navesti i Storm of the Century, ali je to King pisao direktno za TV; skript je naknadno objavio u knjizevnoj formi. Divna stvar. Ako je tako, onda je recimo Rose Red susta suprotnost i jedna od najdosadnijih mini-serija koje sam gledao u zivotu. Mozda nesto ispadne od Kingdoma.

Za The Green Mile, s druge strane, mislim da je jedna od Kingovih najsjajnih knjiga. Film je doista ispao dobar, ali je Darabont najposlije pretjerao, pokusavsi da Kingov svrsetak pretoci u slike, samo umrtvivsi i usporivsi jedno izuzetno ostvarenje. Mozda je film trebao da se okonca Coffeyevom smrcu. Ovako je samo vrlo dobar. Cujem da izlazi i prevod, ako vec nije u prodaji. Bice zilav za citanje ako ga neko prevede s koca i konopca. Zbilja mocan roman.

Na prvu loptu, evo mojih favorita---

1) THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION
   2)  CARRIE & STAND BY ME
    3) THE SHINING
                4) THE DEAD ZONE & PET SEMATARY
   5) THE GREEN MILE
   6) NEEDFUL THINGS & MISERY
   7) CHRISTINE
   8) SLEEPWALKERS
    9) DOLORES CLAIBORNE
   10) THINNER & MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE
'Hey now!'

eric cartman

« Reply #33 on: 17-03-2004, 22:10:26 »
Bit cu kratak i jasan

The best

-The Shining     http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_1_9.gif' alt='Skull 3' border=0>

The Worst    
- Dreamcatcher http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_1_7.gif' alt='Skull' border=0>

Na mene ostavio najvise utisaka

-It http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_1_16.gif' alt='Ghoul' border=0>

-Najvise me je uplasio

-Pet sematary  http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_1_1.gif' alt='Ghost 2' border=0>

I najvise cijenim i volim
- The Shawshank Redemption  http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_8_10v.gif' alt='Academy Awards' border=0>
Screw you guys I'm goin' home

devilock

« Reply #34 on: 17-03-2004, 22:28:47 »
CARRIETA WHITE     :lol:
apsolutno najomiljenije, najdraze, ono sto i dalje baca knedle u grlo.

potom shining ...

Milosh

« Reply #35 on: 19-03-2004, 10:12:36 »
moram da pomenem film 'Cujo'. to nije najgori film sam po sebi (ima pristojnu reziju, fotografiju...) ali je jedna od najgorih adaptacija ikada. u filmskoj varijanti je dosledno ubijena svaka moguca poenta koju je King pokusao da ostvari u romanu. ko je citao knjigu i gledao film pretpostavljam da zna o cemu pricam. postoji debeli razlog zasto se roman 'Cujo' zavrsava tako kako se zavrsava i nije rec samo o tome da neko voli/ne voli (un)happy-end; stvari su tu ipak malo slozenije...

Ghoul

• The Cult of Ghoul
« Reply #36 on: 19-03-2004, 11:37:37 »
slazem se s tim sto kazes za kraj knjige/filma: however, razlog zasto ni pod razno ne bih ovaj film svrstavao u lose [a kamoli 'najgore']adaptacije je efektno postignut saspens i ZESTINA napada tog pseta, koji su odlicno rezirani i ubedljivo shockantni.

Sem toga, Dee Wallace je odlicna glumica, film je lepo uslikan i ima dobar ritam [za razliku od stvarno gnjaaaavez romana].

otaku

« Reply #37 on: 25-03-2004, 21:03:32 »
meni se nekako ucinio dobar i Dolores Claiborne

Milosh

« Reply #38 on: 27-03-2004, 00:35:08 »
Quote from: "otaku"
meni se nekako ucinio dobar i Dolores Claiborne

slazem se.

da pomenem i 'Apt Pupil'. iako se u svojoj filmskoj varijanti razlikuje od novele (pogotovo u drugoj polovini), to je sasvim dobra adaptacija, a posebno kada je rec o likovima.